Welcome Marietta! I’m here in your inbox as usual to tell you everything you need to know about what’s happening in town.
First, today’s weather forecast:
A thunderstorm in the afternoon. High: 83 Low: 56.
Here are the best stories in Marietta today:
- The Ohio School Boards Association held a focus group yesterday before the official start of the search for Superintendent Marietta. They will hold another focus group on June 17th. (WTAP)
- A bill is being considered in Ohio to combat child sexual abuse. “Erin’s Law,” if passed, would require schools to provide age-appropriate instruction on sexual abuse prevention for K-6 students and sexual abuse prevention for kids. students from 7th to 12th grade. (State News)
- Marietta College pitcher Trent Valentine has been named to the NCAA Division III College World Series All-Tournament Team. (Marietta College)
- The Washington County Health Department in Marietta offers low-cost rabies clinics for cash-strapped pet owners. Rabies vaccines will be available for $10 early Saturday afternoon. (WTAP)
- Ohio Governor Mike DeWine is asking the USDA to make it easier for WIC families to find formula during the shortage.
Today in Marietta:
From my notebook:
- Main street of Marietta: “It’s going to be a beautiful Sunday in downtown Marietta. Join us for lunch and shopping June 12 for the second Sunday.” (Marietta Main Street via Facebook)
- Harmar Village – Marietta, Ohio: “Have you ever wondered about the interior appearance of these houseboats? In the early years of the Sternwheel Festival, naturally, with less attendance, some owners would allow us to board. The most memorable for me was the whi…” (Harmar Village – Marietta, Ohio via Facebook)
- Marietta College: “Valentine named to World Series All-Tournament Team #EttaExpress #PioNation #BringForthAPioneer #d3baseball” (Marietta College via Facebook)
- Harmar Village – Marietta, Ohio: “1912 Roosevelt’s visit to Caldwell. “Note the horse in the middle of the crowd [towards the bottom center] and a team of white horses to the right. People dressed in their finest Sunday flags, all wearing their hats and a few la…” (Harmar Village – Marietta, Ohio via Facebook)
- The Castle – Marietta, Oh: “Space is limited and pre-registration is required by June 17. https://mariettacastle.org/events/” (The Castle – Marietta, Oh via Facebook)
- Memorial Health System: “Dr. Wisler Saint-Wil talks about steps to reduce your risk of heart attack by exercising and making dietary changes. To read the full article, visit mhsystem.org/sportsmedicine and click on “Sports Medicine Articles .”#SportsMed #HeartHeal…” (Memorial Health System via Facebook)
- Washington County Public Library: “Here is the Bibliobus schedule for today, June 8! A * means a stop at a private establishment.” (Washington County Public Library via Facebook)
- Marietta/Belpre Health Department: “June is also Men’s Health Month! This month aims to raise awareness of health issues among men and boys. Join us in spreading the word about mental health, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and more. Visit the link below for more information o…” (Marietta/Belpre Health Department via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Please follow and stay informed. I will see you soon!
— Christopher Schmitt
About me: Hi, I’m the Community Editor for Patch.com/marietta. I have lived in Marietta most of my life. I graduated from Ohio University’s EW Scripps School of Journalism in 2014. I wrote for a community newspaper before moving to New York to be a national correspondent for IHeartRadio. I look forward to bringing my experience home and providing Marietta with the exceptional journalism she deserves. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 740-516-4969.
Do you have a topical tip or a suggestion for an upcoming Marietta Daily? Contact me at [email protected]